Average expenditures from graduate students in MSE:
The average graduate student in MSE spends spends $1,130 on rent, with 80% between 850-1400$ according to the MSE-GSC Climate Survey. Additionally, the average student spends $130 on utilities, $520 on food, and $90 on health (medical care, self care, wellness). On average graduate students spend $1,800 on these four categories.
An average grad student spends about 50 hours per week on degree requirements (classes, research, teaching) during the semester.
If you are on a GSI/GSR appointment, during the semester your maximum appointment is 50% while during the summer it is 100%. This means, that while your pay is set for the year, during the semester is you take in less per month than during the summer. Most GSR/GSI get paid $1,800-$2,200/month during the semester and substantially more during the summer. Please plan your rent and lifestyle accordingly.
Mental health resources
- The College of Engineering has its own satellite counselor/psychologist:
- There are drop in hours (Tuesday 2-4pm, Wednesday 10-noon)
- Or you can schedule an appointment with her as well
- Bechtel 241
- The Tang center offers 5 free psychologist sessions (and then 15$ a session after) if you are on SHIP (per academic year)
- There are a bunch of group therapy session offered at the Tang center:
- Some are grad student only
- Variety of topics
- Additionally, the ASUC has also compiled a helpful list of resource: